(213) 375-4084 | (800) 792-5605

Los Angeles Performer Visa Lawyers

Visas for Performers, Artists & Models

Visas are available to performers, artists, athletes, and models etc. who wish to visit the United States. These Visa classifications are referred to as the O, P, and the H1-B. For assistance with acquiring a visa, it is wise to contact a Los Angeles immigration lawyer to ensure that you are filing correctly.

The O-1 nonimmigrant visa is a unique classification as it is for those individuals who have successfully demonstrated an extraordinary ability in the arts, education, sciences, athletics or business, or for someone who has a well-documented record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture industry.

The O nonimmigrant classification is associated with the following:

  • O-1A: sciences, education, business or athletics (excluding the arts, or the movie or television industries)
  • O-1B: arts, motion picture or television industry
  • O-2: Individuals who accompany an 0- artist or athlete to assist in an event or performance
  • O-3: spouse or family members of an O-1 or O-2

P-1, P-2 and P-3 Visas

The P-1 classification applies to internationally recognized athletes who are coming to the U.S. to perform in a specific athletic competition as an athlete, whether it is individually, part of a group or as part of a team. In order to qualify, athletes must be at an internationally recognized level of performance. This visa is for those individuals who are coming to the U.S. to participate in an internationally recognized event with an exceptionally high level of achievement such as the Olympics. For an individual athlete, the total stay is limited to 10 years, whereas an athletic group will be issued visas in increments of up to 1 year.

The P-2 visa is for those people coming to the United States to perform as an artist or an entertainer, either by themselves or as part of a group. These artists perform under a reciprocal exchange program that is between the United States and an organization of another country outside the United States. This visa is good for increments of up to one year until the event or performance is complete.

For artists, entertainers, or teachers who wish to come to the United States temporarily under a culturally unique program, they must apply for the P-3 visa. For this classification, the person must be coming in the United States for the purpose of developing, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional performance which is musical, ethnic, cultural or theatrical.

H1-B Classification Visas

The H1-B category visa is for individuals who wish to perform services in a specialty occupations relating to the Department of Defense (DOD), or in the fashion model industry. For fashion models, their position and services must require that the fashion model holds a prominent position in the fashion industry.

To be eligible for an H-1B3 classification, the fashion model must be of distinguished merit and ability. The H-1B visa allows the nonimmigrant to be admitted to the United States for up to 3 years. The spouse and children of an H-1B visa holder may apply for an H-4 nonimmigrant classification in order to seek entry into the United States for an extended period of time; however, they may not engage in employment in the U.S.

Entertainment Job Opportunities & Immigration Information

Share with a friend:

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570, Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Suite 570, Los Angeles, CA 90034 | Phone: (310) 683-4516  Local Phone: (310) 242-8936 Office Location

ILOLA’s Education Center

    Copyright © 2019 The Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.