Scott McVarish is an attorney with 15 years of experience. McVarish is the award-winning, founding attorney at the Immigration Law Office of Los Angeles, P.C. McVarish has achieved success with immigration work for his clients at all levels including Family or Employer Petitions at USCIS, Consular processing worldwide, BIA Appeals, Immigration Court Motions to Reopen, Ineffective Assistance of Counsel lawsuits, Federal District Court and the Ninth Circuit Court Appeals, Asylum, prosecutorial discretion cases, appeals, motions to reopen and Post-conviction Relief in superior court to overturn criminal convictions. His skills include writing persuasive legal briefs and hardship cases, taking depositions, witness preparation, working with Country experts, criminal defense issues for immigrants and putting together the right team and resources to win your case, among many other skills. He is also on the executive committee for the advocacy non-profit, Clergy Laity United for Economic Justice- Los Angeles (cluela.org), where he focuses on matters related to immigrant communities. He is serving as faculty for the 2013 national conference of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).
Scott graduated from UCLA with a B.A. in International Communications (through the College of Honors Program), and then later earned a joint- J.D., and M.A. from the UCLA School of Law and School of Public Policy respectively.
Scott studied "Ethics and Theology" one year at El Seminario Biblico Latinoamericano in San Jose, Costa Rica and remains fluent in Spanish. At the age of 20, Scott wrote the book The Greening of New Zealand, published by Random House, detailing strategies of local environmental, labor and community groups in New Zealand where he lived for two years.
Attorney Scott McVarish is rated 10/10 - Superb on Avvo.com. Avvo is a national rating system that uses a mathematical model to access a lawyer's qualifications.
- UCLA School of Public Policy - Masters in 1997
- University of California at Los Angeles - BA in 1991
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law - JD
Groups and Associations
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
- Clergy Laity United for Economic Justice
- State Bar of California
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- California Employment Lawyers Association
- Immigrant Families at Money 101 With Bob McCormick in 2014
- Household Employees Employment and Immigration Program at the Beverly Hills Bar Association CLE Event in 2014
- Advanced Immigration Law Topics at the Conferencia de Inmigracion in 2013
- The Value of Hiring an Immigration Lawyer at the AILA Annual National Conference in 2013
- Complicated Immigration Issues on 1020 AM in 2013
- Immigration Law - Nuts & Bolts for the Non-practitioner at the United Methodist Church Women's Conference in 2012
- Solutions to Current Immigration Problems with Q & A at the St. Joseph Church Festival in 2012
- Tips on Helping Immigrants Navigate Difficult Immigration Cases at the Los Angeles Consular Corps of Latin America in 2012
- Solutions to Complex Immigration Problems at Juventil Patoral in 2012
- Immigration Law 101 at the Iglesia Celular Charla (in Spanish) in 2010
- Excellence for Immigrants by the Consulate General of Ecuador in 2012